Tuesday, 22 January 2013

a little bird told me ......

Hi everyone,

As it's my first post of 2013, I'd like to wish all you Craftwork Cards fans a Happy New Year.  I hope 2013 has got off to a great start for you all.
What's the snow like where you are? Not causing you too many problems I hope.  We've had a little bit here on the Isle of Man,  it's pretty cold though.  Brrrr .......  Perfect weather for crafting I say.

Here's what I've been up to in the old craft room .....
....... a little card that's suitable for so many occasions, birthdays, anniversaries, weddings, new home and of course even Valentine's Day,  which is fast approaching.

I started with an 8x8 scalloped card blank, covered the front with a piece of Kraft cardstock then added a piece of white embossed card, leaving a small border around the edge.  A little touch of Distress ink adds a bit of shading around the edges.  I used Gathered Twigs and Victorian Velvet.

I took two of the cute little Kraft Die Cut Birds and inked them with Distress Inks.  Then cut out two small wing shapes and used a dot of silicone glue to attach them, just to give a bit of dimension.  I love these little guys they're such a nice size for cards, and of course you can colour, and change them however you like. Use Distress Inks as I've done, acrylic paint, pencils, cover them with papers or just run them through an embossing machine to add your design.
 
I gave them a branch to sit on using one of the Tim Holtz Alterations Dies, and made it into a lovely blossom tree using some of the mini blooms from the Bohemian collection.

The little die cut bird cage has been coloured using Brushed Pewter and a touch of Tarnished Brass Metallic distress stains.  The Kraft cardstock colours really well with these ....... my top tip is to colour the birdcage BEFORE you press out all the die cut bits, it's a bit more sturdy this way and you don't risk bending it or worse still  tearing it.
And, just to let you know the little bird cages are in the Sale at the moment - a great excuse to stock up with them.

The words have been stamped using CWC Printers Block stamps, then cut out and arrange on my card using foam pads.

I finished the whole thing off with a touch of vintage ribbon, some pearls and the little heart from the die cut bird cage. 

There you have it, a really pretty card for any occasion.  I hope you like it.

Thanks for popping by today.  Keep cosy and warm in this snowy weather, and Keep Crafting!

See you all again soon
Linda
x



7 comments:

...the yorkshire fox... said...

... a super cute card Linda, love the guilded birdcage..lovely work...Mel :)

Craftychris said...

ooh this is so gorgeous, I love the little birds and the cage is fabulous! xx

Shirley said...

Such a pretty card Linda. Thanks for the advice on colouring the birdcage. I have tried colouring them and it has been a bit hit and miss. I shall have a go at what you have suggested. Thanks for the great tip.

Shirley

Mars x said...

Linda, I just love this card and all the fab details you have given re ink colours etc. the little birdies are so cute with their wings. Fab, fab, fab ! Mars xxx

Andrea Moorhouse said...

Fab cards and for the advice, really useful! Thanks, Andrea M xx

Redanne said...

Oooh Linda, this card is sumptuous, love the beautiful birds and the cage is gorgeous coloured in the Pewter - a truly beautiful card. Hugs, Anne x

Stamping in Pink said...

Gorgeous creation! I think I have an idea for a valentine card now because of your lovely card Karen x